Thursday, July 30, 2009

Innocence At Your Fingertips

I was having a conversation with a friend about a reality dating show that featured identical twins and that I was able to tell them apart because one had a facial mole that the other did not. This made me question if they were actually identical twins or rather fraternal twins that just looked almost exactly alike, or maybe they were identical and one had had the mole removed. I then started questioning if my belief that identical twins meant that they were in fact physically identical since they shared the same dna, but how could that be true if no two people have the same fingerprints, and what about identical twins where one suffered trauma at birth resulting in a birth mark. I needed some answers!



I learned after some 'googling' that I was wrong in my belief about identical twins and that while they do share the same dna, can have noticeably different physical characteristics. It also appears that our fingerprint pattern does not seem to be hereditary, the way eye or hair color is, which is very interesting!


So, if fingerprinting is an accurate way of identifying us as well as dna, why are we not required to stamp our fingerprint on all state and government issued identification, as well as medical/dental records. Banks require it for specific transactions to prevent fraud. What if in person credit card/check transactions required the same thing? Would dishonest people be less likely to commit fraud or crime if their fingerprint was connected with the transaction? My inclination is to think yes, but, that is just my point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment